Musculoskeletal Services Shropshire and Telford (MSST)
Musculoskeletal Services Shropshire and Telford (MSST) offer specialist multi-disciplinary team assessments and management to patients who suffer from musculoskeletal health problems that don't require hospital treatment.
Appointments are offered at a variety of locations across Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin.
Patients will either be seen by a Therapist from the best profession for the their condition or, if further diagnostic work and opinion is required, by an expert Advanced Practice clinician from the correct profession and speciality or one of our Medics who specialise in MSK.
All clinicians will have MSK expertise and skills enabling them to assess, manage appropriate patients with musculoskeletal problems, reducing the need for a referral into hospital or consultant care.
The diagnostic expertise includes access to the following investigations, which may be required in the patient assessment:
- Diagnostic ultrasound
- Nerve conduction studies
- Blood tests
Following assessment and diagnosis, treatment and management options available to the patient include:
- OT Hand Therapy
- Provision of orthotics
- Specialist pain care
- Joint or soft tissue injections – where required under ultrasound guidance
- Advice on self-management
Some patients may need to be referred onto hospital consultants such as Orthopaedics and Rheumatology. Patients who are likely to require surgery with be referred to the surgeons.
Can I be seen by MSST?
If you are over 16 and require further management for musculoskeletal conditions, that do not require hospital treatment, then you are an appropriate patient for MSST.
Musculoskeletal conditions the team deal with include:
- Ankle and foot conditions including; Achilles tendinopathy, Morton's neuroma, osteoarthritis and plantar fasciitis.
- Knee conditions including; osteoarthritis, anterior knee pain, tendinopathies and bursitis.
- Hip conditions including; osteoarthritis, bursitis, sprains and impingements.
- Wrist and hand conditions including; osteoarthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome and trigger finger.
- Elbow conditions including; tennis and golfer’s elbow and osteoarthritis.
- Shoulder conditions including; acromioclavicular pain, capsulitis/frozen shoulder, rotator cuff pathology and bursitis.
- Spinal pain including; cervical, thoracic and lumbar back pain with and without radiating limb symptoms.
- Chronic pain conditions in MSK including fibromyalgia
- Soft tissue injuries including; mild or moderate ligament sprains or muscle tears
- Some Rheumatological conditions. We work closely with Rheumatology in the diagnosis and management of these conditions.
If you are under 16 or are not registered with a GP under NHS Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin, then unfortunately you cannot be seen by a MSST clinician.
The team do not see patients with suspected cancer.
How can I be referred?
Patients can be referred to the service by members of Primary Care such as the General Practitioner (GP) or First Contact Practitioner (FCP). We use the national NHS electronic-Booking Service (e-RS).
What to expect
At your first appointment you will be asked questions about your symptoms, activities, work, etc. Your treatment plan may include a variety of specialist treatments which will be discussed with you and delivered in a clinic or group setting to help you to return to your usual activities. Your treatment plan will also include advice and specific exercises to help you to self-manage your condition.
What to bring with you
During your assessment you might be required to carry out a number of movements. Therefore, we recommend you wear suitable loose-fitting clothing, such as t-shirt, shorts, jogging bottoms and under-wear that you are comfortable being assessed in. Please bring a detailed list of current medication.
Patient Initiated Follow Up
We operate a Patient Initiated Follow Up (PIFU) service. If agreed between patient and clinician, some patients if suitable, can be placed in an PIFU arrangement. Within the agreed time frame these patients can contact MSST to ask for a follow up should they need to, without going back to the GP or FCP.